Monday, November 30, 2009

A time to remember....










I remember telling Arpitha, the day after sending out the mail about Chrysallis fund collection ... that the response has not been very encouraging.....This had nothing to do with the fact that she had collected 2K on the 1st day...n I had collected 1K...or that people who contributed last year had kinda missed my mail or so I thought:)..or that the email responses were fewer than last year...

I believe that anything that starts on a discouraging note...ends well....coz today we stand at a total collection of 52,000.....

Right from making new friends to waiting in Phase-1 reception at 6:30 to collect money ...there was this one occasion...when I was waiting for Deivanai to collect money...n I happened to meet Vidya, Sharath's sister without any prior intimation.. n ended up collecting funds from her also....

What started off with Shilpa wanting to buy me a gift from Chennapatna for accompanying her to a friend's wedding....ended ...in us planning a trip to Chennapatna ...last Saturday...n buying their toys as gifts for the Chrysallis parties....

Praveena, Deivanai, Sudha n me set out on a fun-filled trip to Chennapatna and almost ended up looting a godown there of some of the most colourful toys I have ever seen....

When you have friends.....who are more than willing to share their time ....wrapping gifts becomes a simple job... thanks to Shilpa, Preeti, Praveena and CJ....V finished packing 748 toys in less than 3 hours:)...I think all of us have a great future in wrapping gifts:)


My father was the person counting the gifts..... as we sorted them as per age and gender into separate bags....maintaining his count in English, Malayalam, Hindi...n ya....Kannada...also....I almost rolled on the floor ....when I heard his Dhombadhu...that's thombathu----90 in Kannada:)

Nothing can be more satisfying than knowing that u have shopped for gifts paying the price they truly deserve..After handing over the gifts at the Chrysallis Centre, on the way back home...v visited an Arts n Crafts Exhibition and saw the gifts we had procured for as less as Rs.13/- being sold at Rs.40/- and a pen stand ..v bought for Rs.23/- being sold at Rs.100/-!!!!

Lastly....what we did manage to do....will make many children happy and thats what we strived for:)

5 comments:

OnLYyOurSpiYu said...

Really great job, will try to get some volunteers for the event for the upcoming weekend.

Harsha J...who else... said...

Superb Seema. I like the spirit in you...whole hearted effort in making this happen to much larger than what you, yourself would have thought of...

Share the pics of the kids who gets the gifts too when they recieve the gifts and also the parties photos also...

Great going and keep that going (I know u wud)...

Somz said...

Thats great seeme:) btw u missed my name when you sent the mail and finally when you did, I forgot to transfer the money.. thats so bad of me:(

Dirish said...

Wonderful toys . Certainly caught my attention . A writing style that is reminiscent and reflective . Above all , a commendable and selfless service to the society. Cheers and goodluck in your future endeavours .

Dirish

Seema Dharma said...

Piyush...D next time v r in need of volunteers...will surely bug u:)

Harsha....Will share the albums with you...but v r usually discouraged from putting them up on the net....

Sowmya....U did help us out with Bubbles gift collection...so am sure ur cribbing wud have stopped:)

Dirish....Thanks for the comments!!

A decade without Acha

 Acha is my father. I lost him 10 years ago, Feb 19th'2012. I dont like using him in "past tense". I still believe that no one...