Monday, January 19, 2009

2 very different days!

This blog pertains to an event that happened almost a year ago.....

My parents were in Mumbai….and I was all alone at home……I have no qualms in staying alone………but yes….I do fear cockroaches……….who had decided to show up after a long hiatus....

What you are gonna read is my narration of the past weekend….in truly myISH style………

I hate dosas……all coz I have been having it continuously for the past 8 days for dinner……with almost the same combo…..Morukolambu + Dosa………….

I sleep on Friday night…hoping to wash clothes…clean the house….. separating my old clothes for the collection drive in office….……going over some past memories…..some clothes…that I used to truly adore…very old….there was 1 that was atleast over 13 years old…but in perfect condition……..and yes…..given a chance…I would still wear it to office ……

On Saturday…..like a very responsible girl..I do get up at 7:30am…….as I know that I have a long day ahead……I start off by putting clothes in surf……open the grill on the back door of my house…and what do I see……cement…cement …everywhere…..not an inch of place to wash clothes…..

And then…the grill on that back door refuses to get fastened…..and I spend an entire hour half wondering as to how I will ever survive on my own…..as this was a security concern…U c…..

Finally after wondering if it was sheer physics or strength that was defeating me….I decided to call in my neighbour gal…and in a minute…the door budged……..making me look like a fool who spent an hour trying to get that done...

In the meantime, I get an sms from ICICI bank…..6000 Rs had just crept into my account……from a certain benevolent Mr. Australia……..

I decide that breakfast is important….and yes….I do get the batter ready for 2 dosas…when I get the sms from Keerthi(alias Anna)….that he have already left for the hospital…

And almost immediately…I get a missed call from Bhagya(the gal I am supposed to meet at the hospital)…..telling me that she is almost nearing the hospital….and from Keerthi…that he is already there…..

I am a lazy person…..and am late on most occasions…..so to keep up some dignity…..I decided to skip breakfast…and after a quick shower…set off to the hospital…


I was late…..I admit…and very sorry to be so…too….

We were to take Bhagya(a polio patient since birth) to the hospital for a bone grafting surgery…..

Moses had told me once….that whenever ur intentions are good…things will always fall in place…..

Out of the blue on Friday, I get a mail from my cab mate who has been in Australia for the past 1.5 years, telling me that he wishes to make a donation…..thats exactly the time when I realize that we have not been able to make enuf collections for Bhagya’s surgery….

I respond back explaining the need for funds for Bhagya’s surgery….and he replies telling me that he would contribute the entire amount…to my extreme delight and joy….1 hurdle we had crossed….

With the money in hand, we were due to see Bhagya’s doctor…..to those of you who are unfamiliar with Ramaiah old hospital…..it has none of its past glory…..tests are taken…but the patient is not allowed to carry home the test reports….and if they feel that u r from the village..they don’t even give you a second ear…..

Keerthi and me were determined to get all possible details…..and I hope we have…..

I met Bhagya thro Ragini, a colleague of mine….who has taken it onto her shoulders that she would help Bhagya and her 4 other handicapped gals…thro their operations ….with the hope that they would walk …..one day…..

Bhagya is 26 years old…..she doesn’t look 26…..very pretty……I cudnt take my eyes off her…the first time I saw her…..but a polio patient…all coz her parents did not give her the required vaccinations when she was small….Her father passed away when she was 1…and she lives with her mother in her village…..Her mother is a coolie worker by profession….and I am told believes that no amount of medical treatment can cure her daughterL…that kinda explains why….she was alone in the hospital…..having traveled alone to Bangalore from her village which is 2 hours away….but yes….her Dodamma’s magalu…did come later….to our relief….especially after we saw a stupid loser..checking her out at the hospital…

Bhagya had to undergo a few tests to declare her fit for the surgery….so after getting them done…..Keerthi and me…set out to IGIA….

Now I had asked the children to come prepared for a few topics the last class…and to my dismay….I realized that they had not...

I had a huge ego clash with one of the boys the last time….I mean…He was disturbing the class….and when I asked him to get out…He did…after uttering something after me….which I did not wish to hear….

After taking class…and telling them that I would return at 9am the next day….I headback home…where after washing clothes……I was extremely happy that Keerthi’s earlier prediction of clothes dipped in surf for a long time…could result in holes…did not exactly take place…

DAY 2: Terrible terrible day…..

I manage to get up…..but not quite…..I wanted to sleep more….and I did…and was finally awake by 9:30am…by a neighbour who I am sure thinks Im a born glutton…she got me 6 humungous idlis for breakfast…..I am supposed to be in the school by 9amL…I realize that I am useless….can never keep my word….and yes…I end up watching a 2.5 hour movie in 1.5 hours………..

By now….I also realize that sweeping the house is a must do……

I finally leave the house by 3:15pm…..hoping to create wonders in the schoolL…..and end up there an hour later…after getting through like a million jams…..and a very strange incident..In the 401B….there were 3 ladies who were seated in the front 2 rows…and were very weird….they were dirty and were talking like they were drunk or something….and there was this one lady …who kept falling everywhere in the bus……and was vomiting too……people beside me in the bus….were swearing to God..telling me that they were drunk…..but I sensed that there was something else….I was just wondering what it was like to lead a life like that……when they got out at the NES stop…and that falling lady collapsed on the road…and was sleeping amidst all that dust and dirt again…

The school was a disaster…the children were terribly prepared….I was late……I called Moses…cribbing about the condition….left them…making them promise me that they would study….and then blunder of all blunders…realized that it was 7pm…..

I step outside…bravely….like if anyone were to come anywhere close to me..I would eat them alive…

When I was jeered at…by a group of morons…in a maruti car..I cant tell u…how much of hatred I had against mankind at that very moment…..A maruti car passes by …and they open the door when they near me…and then speed off…laughing all along….

I was so irritated that the next thing I did was to catch hold of one of the male teachers of the school and requested him to stay with me…till I get a bus….and when I finally did catch one….it was taking me towards MOC….which BTW is in the opposite direction to where I live……

After cursing my ill-luck…..I take an auto to Yelahanka police station…..and guess what….truly one of those days….I was there for an entire hour…waiting for a bus…..to get back home….and wondering all the time…y do I do all this teaching stuff….…as to why ppl around me would disappear and appear all of a sudden…and I was the only standing person there….

I reach home at 8:45pm….and decide to cook…..and trust me that’s the only thing that brought me joy(though I spent 20 mins….cleaning and cutting 2 potatoes)




No comments:

A decade without Acha

 Acha is my father. I lost him 10 years ago, Feb 19th'2012. I dont like using him in "past tense". I still believe that no one...