Sunday, April 5, 2009

Deepu....

We lost our 22 year old cousin to the waters of Periyar in December, last year. A few weeks before he passed away, his journey to the Gulf was almost confirmed, but there were some problems with some numbers in his Visa...n so he had to wait for a couple of weeks more. 

He had gone on a Saturday evening with his friends to the Periyar river closeby for a swim, after getting fish from the market and leaving it with his mother......

He did not know swimming.......n when he stepped into the water...he lost his balance and was taken into the quick sand......

His friends didnt realize that their friend was missing...but by the time they did....it was too late....my cousin had lost his life....

We visited their house.....I saw his photo..I was seeing him after 15 years.....he was simply the best looking guy in the family.....

His family is shattered... shocked.....his mother tells us ...I have never found a reason to be angry with my son....simply coz he never did anything to hurt her......

She tells us that he was very happy to be leaving to Dubai ....as he wanted to share his family's responsiblities....

His sister was silently crying...n all I cud think of was y....y....did it happen to them?


I didnt know what to tell her...I didnt know what to tell my aunt...I didnt know how to tell them not to cry.....when each n every moment of their lives reminds them of him......

I remember seeing Deepu as a kid.....who would shy away from the rest of his cousins....and today..I cant just bring myself to think about what has happened to him and to his family....

As we left their house, I saw a ray of hope .....I saw them smile......I saw them forget their sorrow for a moment....all thanks to an extremely naughty 6 year old boy who lives closeby.n who made his way into the house with a badminton racket......n who does enough masti in school...to ensure that the teacher gets him seated in between the girls:).....

No comments:

A decade without Acha

 Acha is my father. I lost him 10 years ago, Feb 19th'2012. I dont like using him in "past tense". I still believe that no one...